Sunday, September 6, 2020

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Jeremiah 51:59 and 50

 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Day 223 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* this morning focuses on God's message through Jeremiah to Judah regarding judgement of Babylon. My commentary indicates that "[o]f all the people who need this assurance, it is the exiles in Babylonia who need it the most. Therefore this judgment against Babylon is given by Jeremiah to a staff officer named Seraiah, who is being sent to Babylon on behalf of King Zedekiah."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Indeed, while the message to Babylonia is harsh, God's words for Judah are encouraging, including:

“In those days, at that time,” declares the Lord, “the people of Israel and the people of Judah together will go in tears to seek the Lord their God. They will ask the way to Zion and turn their faces toward it. They will come and bind themselves to the Lord in an everlasting covenant that will not be forgotten[”]. Jeremiah 50:4-5

In those days, at that time,” declares the Lord, “search will be made for Israel’s guilt, but there will be none, and for the sins of Judah, but none will be found, for I will forgive the remnant I spare. Jeremiah 50:20

This is what the Lord Almighty says: “The people of Israel are oppressed, and the people of Judah as well. All their captors hold them fast, refusing to let them go. Yet their Redeemer is strong; the Lord Almighty is his name. He will vigorously defend their cause so that he may bring rest to their land, but unrest to those who live in Babylon. Jeremiah 50:33-34

As believers, we may all feel periods of "famine", "exile", etc. Yet we do have a strong Redeemer in Jesus Christ.  He purchased our lives through death on the cross and when we accepted Him as our Lord and Savior, He gave us in return freedom from the sting of sin and death, and He will never leave or forsake us.  Whatever we may be experiencing is temporary because we know God is saving a place for us in Heaven.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me the greatest gift of all - salvation.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I sin...daily.  Anger, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.