Friday, September 4, 2020

Then the prophet Jeremiah said to Hananiah the prophet, “Listen, Hananiah! The Lord has not sent you, yet you have persuaded this nation to trust in lies. Therefore this is what the Lord says: ‘I am about to remove you from the face of the earth. This very year you are going to die, because you have preached rebellion against the Lord.’”

Jeremiah 24, 29, 27-28

Then the prophet Jeremiah said to Hananiah the prophet, “Listen, Hananiah! The Lord has not sent you, yet you have persuaded this nation to trust in lies. Therefore this is what the Lord says: ‘I am about to remove you from the face of the earth. This very year you are going to die, because you have preached rebellion against the Lord.’” Jeremiah 28:15-16

Day 221 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* focuses on the danger of false prophets and Jeremiah's response: "Jeremiah’s chief concern during the early part of Zedekiah’s reign is the number of false prophets who are still saying that all is well, and that Babylonia will be broken instead of Judah. Perhaps because of the persecution he faces as a true prophet of God, Jeremiah unleashes a blistering attack against those who are masquerading as God’s prophets, even among the captives in Babylonia. Jeremiah is forced to write to the people in exile and tell them to settle in for the duration, which will be 70 years."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

While today's scripture includes some of the most quoted words in the Bible (Jeremiah 29) - and we should all be encouraged by these words - in a broader historical context it is also important to understand (God's Word delivered through Jeremiah) Jeremiah's harsh words for false prophets. In terms of God's Word, we must be able to discern truth. My verses that I highlight today are just two examples from my reading today where (God) Jeremiah harshly rebukes several false prophets. 

We must STUDY the Bible, use trustworthy commentary, and find worthy brothers and sisters in Christ who can sharpen us.

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has given me Your Word and it is You, and it is alive and active in me - thank You Jesus! Yet I know You are not done with me and my sin continues...please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome my many sins (gossip, etc.) and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.