Friday, February 5, 2021

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Genesis 25, 27, 30, and 32

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Jacob: Wrestling with the Past*".

*Title of lesson three from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day three starts with Max Lucado emphasizing that "God blesses us in spite of our lives and not because of our lives." God knows all about Jacob's past yet He still blesses him and gives Jacob a new name - a new name that is more symbolic of who Jacob is in God's eyes. Lucado then wants us to see how Jacob focused on knowing God's name (Genesis 32:29) and that with each encounter (or wrestling match) with God, Jacob's name for God evolved as he better understood God's character.  Ultimately, as Jacob gets older he sees God as his "shepherd" and "the Angel who has delivered [him] from all harm" (Genesis 48:15-16). 

For me, this morning, my takeaway is that we are encouraged to "wrestle" with Him - check out this awesome post at DesiringGod.com

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and whom I have seen and significantly encountered many times in my life and I am grateful for each and every encounter as my love for You as grown - I know You exist and You have blessed me in so many ways I cannot even list all of them here.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  I worry and I have many other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.