Thursday, February 4, 2021

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

 Genesis 25, 27, 30, and 32

 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Jacob: Wrestling with the Past*".

*Title of lesson three from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day two starts with Max Lucado discussing how Jacob wrestles with God and Lucado indicates that once Jacob recognizes that he has encountered God, He seeks God's blessing and that this is a bold ask.  We are encouraged to approach God boldly in our interactions - not in an arrogant manner, but in a manner where we know that God is all powerful and He is capable of doing anything - assuming it is His will.  Lucado points us to Ephesians 3:

In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. Ephesians 3:12

Lucado then wants us to look at how God has left reminders (physical or otherwise) for us to remember the encounters we have with Him. 

Finally, as part of today's review of Jacob's story, we are encouraged by Lucado to see how Jacob's request to be blessed can be distilled down to a simple matter for God to settle: "God, do I matter to You?"

Lucado points us to the following verses:

All of the above verses underscore how we DO matter to God, and how believers are part of God's family.

I am encouraged to be bold in my interactions with God.

Discuss and comment on this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and I know I matter to You...deeply.  I am part of Your family - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift...my sin continues, including worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message to me today and every day.