Monday, February 8, 2021

There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up.

Exodus 1-3

There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. Exodus 3:2

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I start the story of "Moses: A Glimpse of God's Glory*".

*Title of lesson four from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado describing a modern day story that resembled Moses' story - it is a story of riches to rags (or one of dashed dreams) similar to Moses' story.  Tragedy strikes everyone in some form or another and Lucado wants us to connect with Moses by seeing how a modern-day version of Moses' story could be anyone.  As Lucado moves from Hank to Moses, we are left with a few questions, including how can God use us when we are so deeply sinful and when we run from God? Moses was also already 80 years old (similar to Abraham and Sarah) - at what point are too old to be used by God?

Lucado points out that there were good reasons why God chose Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt - He knew the people, he had known leadership qualities, wisdom, he knew the land, and he knew who the Israelites would be up against - he once lived in the palace.  Moses also married well - Zipporah was a woman of faith and we learn later in Exodus how Zipporah saved Moses from God's wrath.

Lucado wants us to understand how God uses everything in our lives to equip and prepare us for roles He designs specifically for us.  Even Moses' time in the wilderness leading sheep was used by God as Moses leads the Israelites through the wilderness.  It's also not just actual wildernesses but emotional and spiritual wildernesses that are used. 

Yet even though Moses recognizes God as the one who speaks to him through the burning bush, Moses resists.

We are encouraged to yield to God's will even when it feels scary or beyond or comfort zone - God will equip us as He does Moses.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has restored me MANY times and used all of the good and bad in my life for Your glory and my good.  You have also equipped me for how I serve - thank You Jesus for the many blessings You pour out for me.  I am not deserving of all the ways You bless me and certainly not deserving for the gift of salvation.  My sin continues...including placing my own comfort over priority to serve You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.