Sunday, February 7, 2021

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Genesis 25, 27, 30, 32, 33-41, 41-47, and 48-50 

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This evening, I continue with the story of "Jacob: Wrestling with the Past*".

*Title of lesson three from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day five starts with Max Lucado discussing how although Jacob wrestled with God and grew closer to God from the experience, Jacob nonetheless continued to sin (as we all do) and separate himself from God due to bad and ungodly decisions. He highlights how Jacob married one woman (Leah) that he did not love so he could marry the one he did love (Rachel).  Rachel initially could not bare children so Jacob bore children via Leah and a host of handmaidens and concubines.  Rachel ultimately bore Jacob a son and Jacob favored this son - Joseph and this favoritism only increased what was already an dysfunctional family.  Jacob's favoritism was compounded by his obliviousness and it led to Joseph being sold by his brothers to slave traders.  Lucado encourages us to avoid separation from God and to make Godly decisions through a daily, close relationship with Jesus Christ.

We then see how Joseph's story indicates God orchestrated good out of Joseph's trials (Genesis 45), and how orchestrates reunion of Jacob with Joseph and restoration of Jacob. Lucado wants us have three takeaways:

  1. Always listen to God's instruction and avoid falling into patterns of sin where we repeat mistakes of our past
  2. Restoration matters to God and He will shake things up to bring that healing to our lives
  3. No matter what evil others intend for us, God can always use our situation to accomplish His good purposes.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who blessed and restored me despite my past sin - You drew me near to You and restored me beyond what I deserve.  I am grateful but again I am undeserving.  I worry, and I put my own earthly comfort ahead of my relationship with You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.