Thursday, February 25, 2021

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Matthew 9, Mark 2, and Luke 5

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Matthew: Redefining God's Family*".

*Title of lesson seven from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day three starts with Max Lucado highlighting how Matthew was not content to simply meet then follow Jesus; he immediately wanted to know more about Jesus so invited Him to spend more time with him at his house. Lucado also points us to the story of Zacchaeus in Luke 19 where we see another tax collector, shorter in stature so desperate to see and meet Jesus that he climbs a tree to see Him and gives half his belongings to the poor.  Jesus recognizes that Zachhaeus is willing to "lose his life" to have Jesus in his.

...[God] rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

Lucado then turns to the story of the rich young ruler in Matthew 19. This man sought "a quick fix" or a "checklist" from Jesus vs a relationship with Him.  He wanted validation that he was doing all the right things - he wanted to be justified.  We must recognize that there is nothing we can do to deserve salvation. None of us deserve it - instead the "wages of sin are death" (Romans 6:23). However, God freely provides salvation for those who truly seek it.  We must hunger and thirst for righteousness and be willing to deny ourselves and glorify God.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who freely gave me salvation - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift and for the many blessings You pour out for me.  I continue to sin - worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.