Sunday, February 14, 2021

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

1 Samuel 18-22

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:10

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "David: Giant Problems and Colossal Collapses*".

*Title of lesson five from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day two starts with Max Lucado discussing how after slaying Goliath and the Philistines, David finds himself favored by both Saul and all of Israel, the latter of whom see David as their new hero.  Saul is increasingly envious and jealous and begins to plot against David.  Yet David, instead of relying on God on first instinct as he did when facing Goliath, David relies on his own strength, and his own fears lead to sinful deception of others and he ultimately goes into hiding. Lucado wants us to see how:

  • "After a victory, our enemy will go on the attack and try to bring us to a low place where we doubt the love and provision of God."
  • "It is when we find ourselves cut off and in a lonely place that we will be tempted to seek refuge in things other God."
  • "When we experience a setback and things are not going as planned, we need to regroup, rediscover our courage, and refocus ourselves on God."

Desperation often leads us to seek ungodly refuge.  Yet God wants us to be desperate for Him.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God and I have felt Your strength during times of difficulty - You protect me and I am grateful!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You never leave or forsake me.  I love You.  Yet I am undeserving of Your love for me and how You saved me.  I am harsh with words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.