Monday, February 1, 2021

Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

Job 1-42

Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:13-14

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Job: God's Presence in the Storm*".

*Title of lesson two from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day four starts with Max Lucado pointing out how Job, once God is finished responding to Job, is speechless.  There are no words to respond to God. Lucado uses the following verse to show us how Job is speechless:

“I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. I spoke once, but I have no answer—twice, but I will say no more.” Job 40:4-5

Lucado wants us also to be speechless, but more so not that we never speak to God or never respond to Him, but that we hold God in awe and that we truly seek God's name to be hallowed (holy, sacred, or revered per dictionary). We are also encouraged to look at how God seeks to get our attention. Lucado points to how God appeared to Elijah when he ran for his life after hearing of Jezebel's death sentence for him in 1 King 19:1-18. God seeks to comfort and provide for Elijah, and although God demonstrates his power through a wind, earthquake and fire, "God is not in" any of these as it appears He did not want to be appear to be angry with Elijah.  Instead God wanted to appear full of love so it says God appeared as a "gentle whisper".  God does want Elijah to stand firm in his faith but He is not angry at Elijah when he runs.  Time and time again we see how God is full of love for even those who either lack faith or who whose faith lapses for a period. Jonah, the Prodigal Son, Peter, Paul, etc. I know I can be included in this crowd of faithless or even faithless for a period.  Yet God is full of love, mercy, compassion, and patience.  

Lucado uses the story of Job to encourage us to listen to God vs talking to God in prayer - to be still, or to be silent and to focus on God. 

I am reminded of how Moses encourages the Israelites to be still in the face of looming death as the chasing Egyptian army bears down on them on the edge of the Red Sea.

Comment on and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who is full of mercy, compassion, and patience for me. You have helped me see through many a storms in my life and I am grateful.  Yet I am undeserving.  I continue to sin...worry, etc. Please forgive me Lord - help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.