Tuesday, February 2, 2021

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Job 1-42

 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Job: God's Presence in the Storm*".

*Title of lesson two from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day five starts with a humbling perspective that Job (and all of us at least from time to time) is like "clay, telling the potter not to press so hard". We are pointed to Job where God says:

Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me. Job 41:11

Lucado writes that "God owes man nothing...which makes the fact that [H]e gave us everything even more astounding".  Job finally sees God for how He truly is - not as some distant cruel God but as a God who never leaves or forsakes believers. We are encouraged to see how suffering produces endurance (Romans 5:3-5), perseverance, character, and hope. We are then pointed to how God restored Job with family and prosperity (Job 42). Job encountered God in ways that he never imagined.  We are encouraged to seek God during our times of trouble and to understand how we may never be restored as Job was but that God can still use our challenges to produce something of great value we may never fully see.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has seen me through periods of great trial and I have seen You in the storm with me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love.  I worry, am often harsh with others, etc.  Please forgive me and help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.