Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Matthew 9, Mark 2, and Luke 5

 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Matthew: Redefining God's Family*".

*Title of lesson seven from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado describing tax collectors during Jesus' day: "guys [who] ranked barely above plankton on the food chain...shunned". We've all felt shunned or insignificant in our lives at one point or another.  Lucado points to Luke 5:29-30 to show how the Jewish leaders felt about tax collectors.  He wants us to understand that it is our heart condition God is concerned about - He sees us as something the world does not.  See also how God saw David He says: 

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

We are to be encouraged that no matter what the world sees in us, God sees us as His creation and for believers as a new creation with God working in and through us, so we are not to measure ourselves against any yardsticks the world defines.

Lucado then turns to how Matthew must have felt leaving his old way of life behind, including his old friends.  We are warned in 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 not to be yoked to unbelievers, but that does not mean we cannot still spend time with unbelievers, of course with the hope that we can be a light to them and give them cause to see (and hear) in you something that brings them to Jesus.  Jesus even participates in a celebration at Matthew's house with other tax collectors and sinners!

Finally, Lucado wants us to see how God offers "life to the full" and that we should not see following and being obedient to Jesus as a burden.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides life to the full...and so much more, including salvation - the greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa from cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.