Saturday, February 20, 2021

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Joseph: Shaky Limbs and Unanswered Questions*".

*Title of lesson six from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day three starts with Max Lucado describing the "lowly manger" scene in Bethlehem where the baby Jesus was born and how OT prophecies (see Micah 5:2 as one example) pointed to this time.  Despite the many prophecies of the coming Messiah, many overlooked the baby Jesus because they were expecting a conquering king, one who would use the "weapons of the world" (in reference to 2 Corinthians 10:4 how believers rely on the power of the Holy Spirit and God's Word) to force submission to his kingdom.  Lucado wants us to be more aware of how God works and to use scripture to help us be more aware - he points to the Parable of the Ten Virgins awaiting the bridegroom in Matthew 25:1-13, and how some of the virgins failed to take oil for their lamps to help them stay awake while waiting.  Jesus sums up the parable to "keep watch". We do want to keep watch and be more aware.  At the same time, we should not be waiting without developing our relationship with Jesus. In Romans 12:2, we are urged to "be transformed by the renewing of the mind...so that [we]will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."  This is supported by what I posted a couple of days ago in a post emphasizing spiritual growth and maturity as a call for all believers. 

Lucado also wants us to to look closely at Joseph's role and how he is not discussed much in the Bible yet his role is key as a "supporting actor" with Mary perhaps being more primary.  God often uses the ordinary and regular for supernatural purposes and He wants those He is using to see how they are part of a bigger plan. 

Discuss and comment on this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has a plan and I am part of the plan - I am humbled that You would love me as You do and would use me.  Thank You for the grace, mercy and patience You have for me.  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.