Monday, February 22, 2021

For no word from God will ever fail.

Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2

 For no word from God will ever fail. Luke 1:37

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Joseph: Shaky Limbs and Unanswered Questions*".

*Title of lesson six from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day five starts with Max Lucado describing the story of Simeon to whom the Holy Spirit revealed that "he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah" (Luke 2:26). Prompted to go to the temple, Simeon found the baby Jesus and he rejoiced.  Lucado describes how scripture does not indicate how long Simeon waited for this day and he "reminds us to 'wait forwardly'. Patiently vigilant. But not so patient that we lose our vigilance.  Nor so vigilant that we lose our patience." We are encouraged to both be patient and vigilant in our prayer.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. Isaiah 40:30-31

Lucado then moves to discuss what details scripture provides us about Jesus' upbringing.  He tells of Jesus' separation from his parents in Luke 2:41-52 and how Jesus was sinless so his teaching where His parents found Him in the temple was perfect as people were amazed at His words. Jesus sought the temple and we are urged to pursue God and the Word in the same way.  

Lucado wants us to understand how God can transform and renew our minds (Romans 12:2) and, just as He did with Joseph, use even common and regular people for supernatural purposes (for God's glory!).  Joseph had many questions but his faith enabled him to "lean not on [his] own understanding" but on God.  We all have doubts and questions but what IS known about God and how He loves us is clear and that His Word is flawless.

Discuss and comment on this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, believers can count on You - when You make a promise like You did to Simeon and to Joseph, we may still have questions but we can count on You.  You tell us that You will never leave or forsake us...and You have so many other great promises!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the many promises You make to me and how You bless me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.