Friday, February 19, 2021

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2

For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Joseph: Shaky Limbs and Unanswered Questions*".

*Title of lesson six from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day two starts with Max Lucado sharing how Joseph led a just life (Matthew 1:19) and how if he was faithful to the law, he should have followed Deuteronomy 22:13-21 if there was a dispute regarding Mary's faithfulness.  Lucado speculates how Joseph must have struggled with how to preserve his reputation vs follow God.  We know that God reassures Joseph (see my post yesterday).  Joseph did as the Lord commanded and was willing to submit to Him.  Lucado points to how Joseph saw the circumstances as a "good and perfect gift" (James 1:17). Lucado then turns to Joseph's humility and how he did not even speak in the Bible yet God used him in supernatural ways as the earthly father to our Lord and Savior - Lucado points to Matthew 16:25 as encouragement for those willing to submit to God. We are then encouraged to read scripture where it is likely people doubted Jesus' authority and power based on his origins and humble upbringing as the son of a lowly carpenter. See Matthew 13:53-56, Mark 6:1-3, Luke 4:16-22, and John 6:41-21.  God uses the ordinary to do the extraordinary and supernatural.

What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. Philippians 3:8-9

Discuss and comment on this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are amazing in all ways - I have seen how You have used the ordinary to do extraordinary things - in my life and in the lives of others.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve. Thank You Jesus.  Yet I am not deserving - I am often harsh with others and I have other sins. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.