Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for the Lord, the son born to you will die.”

2 Samuel 12

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for the Lord, the son born to you will die.” 1 Samuel 12:13-14

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "David: Giant Problems and Colossal Collapses*".

*Title of lesson five from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day five starts with Max Lucado highlighting how David's sins seemed to appear throughout various periods in his life, and his most glaring sin of sleeping with Bathsheba and having her husband Uriah killed seemed to be a well-kept secret.  Yet as I posted yesterday, God knew.  God then sent Nathan to confront David and to be sure David knew that God was not pleased with David's actions.  God also knew that God would forgive David - although Nathan's story of a stolen sheep elicits strong condemnation (death!) of the rich man in the story, God does not condemn David to such a sentence (1 Samuel 12:13) but instead forgives.  We do see however, that David is still punished harshly and the chapters to follow include further punishment. 

In the meantime, Lucado wants us to examine David's life as a whole and to see the good and the bad and how God identifies David as "a man after [God's] heart" (Acts 13:22). Yes David is sinful and broken but that is our story.  We should see David in ourselves and how David tackled giants in his life by looking backwards in appreciation - how focusing on God allows us to slay giants where focusing on giants makes us stumble.  David stumbled because he lost appreciation for what God did for him.  Remember and praise God for what He has done and keep this front in center for those periods when we need God to tackle future giants...hence the important of a daily personal relationship with Jesus Christ.  

Discuss and comment on this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has forgiven me many times over and You have been full of grace and compassion for me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for Your grace and compassion - I know You died on the cross for me...for MY sin!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin continues - this morning I placed my own earthly comfort and desires over my relationship with You - please forgive me.  Help me worship You and make You the #1 priority in my life.  Help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.