Wednesday, February 3, 2021

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Genesis 25, 27, 30, and 32

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This afternoon, I start with the story of "Jacob: Wrestling with the Past*".

*Title of lesson three from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado pointing to how Jacob was a "conniver" and had on three occasions, deceived others to get what he wanted:

  • Esau (Genesis 25:27-34)
  • Issac (Genesis 27:14-29)
  • Laban (Genesis 30:29-43) 

Yet Jacob had to start dealing with his past deeds upon a reunion with Esau where he thought Esau would be vengeful.  Previously Jacob would run from his past but this time he could not. Although I will focus in more detail how Jacob wrestles with God and deals with his past, today's reading encourages me to see how God sees everything and He orchestrates ways for us to come to grips with our past sins - all of this to see how much God loves us.  God knows everything about us - yet He still pursues us and loves us.  He wants a relationship with us despite our sin - amazing!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God indeed - You know everything about me, including my sin, yet You still pursued me, died for me, and You STILL love me!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry, and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.