Sunday, February 28, 2021

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

John 11

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I start the story of "Lazarus: The Final Witness*".

*Title of lesson eight from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado describing a fictional account of a courtroom trial where Lazarus is a final witness to determine whether Jesus could serve as the guardian for the reader of the account (or anyone for that matter). John is Jesus' attorney and asks Lazarus to tell his story which is in John 11. We are to note a few things about this story - one is that Jesus did not come to Lazarus' aide for at least four days as Lazarus was already dead and buried by the time He arrived (John 11:17).  Lucado also wants us to understand that "we don't always know why God delays in answering our request, but we can trust his timing". In this case, we learn from John 11 that Jesus arrived later because He wanted it to give them cause to believe in Jesus' power.

So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. John 11:14-15

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.” John 11:41-42

Lucado also encourages us to understand the power of prayer (in God's Name - John 11:21-22) and to share our personal testimony with others as I am sure Lazarus did with others.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who hears our cries answers all of them.  We don't know Your timing but we know that You have a plan for our good and Your glory and we can wait and trust in the Lord.  Thank You Jesus for Your faithfulness and that You always hear and reply to our cries.  I am not deserving of all the blessings You pour out for me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.