Thursday, April 24, 2014

Her parents were astonished, but he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened.

Luke 8

Her parents were astonished, but he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened. v56

What is interesting in Luke is how Jesus instructs those who witness His power firsthand:

The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him. v38-39

In the above verses, Jesus tells the demon possessed man to talk about what God had done for him.

Yet Jairus and his wife were told in v56 not to tell anyone what happened.  To me this says that Jesus knows that some are equipped to spread the gospel of Jesus and some are not.  Some will not do so in a way that truly speaks of the power of Christ.  This is the case of Jairus and his wife.  I would imagine Jairus' daughter would be in a different position.

This is NOT to say that we should NOT spread the good news of Jesus Christ...of course we are!  Yet we are also commanded not to "...misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7).

When we talk about Jesus we should truly speak of the power in our own life...our heart condition matters when we speak about Jesus.  If we don't believe and love others as He loves us our testimony won't matter.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are truly almighty and Your hand is all over my life in only good ways...You have led me through dark valleys to the highest peaks of joy.  You have blessed me and continue to bless me well beyond what I deserve.  I continue to be selfish, lazy, angry, harsh, etc.  Thank You that You love me but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin and help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.