Thursday, April 17, 2014

..."Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof."

Luke 7


..."Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof." v6

I have read and heard this passage many times yet what I found new in my reading today was how the centurion was "poor in spirit".  He recognized that "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23) and this recognition is key to our spiritual development.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says:


Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. v3

Faith starts by being "poor in spirit" and recognizing that we are "all... justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." 

My Prayer: Lord, there is no doubt that I need You for only You provide freedom from being slave to sin and the ultimate consequences of my sin.  I am not worthy of Your crucifixion that nailed to the cross forever my sin - this act of humility, service, grace, love, etc. is WELL beyond what I deserve.  You are a great God and I not only need You...I desperately need You as You are the only way...You are my God.  I sin often...I turn my back on You, I seek other Gods...thank You that You allow 2nd chances - I need one today and every day.  Please forgive me for my lack of being faithful to You.  Help me turn from such sin.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.