Wednesday, January 20, 2021

This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world.

1-3 John

This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. 1 John 5:2-4

Day 360 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - today I read the letters of 1 John. My commentary* indicates for the first letter: "[t]oward the end of the first century the church begins to face serious challenges both from without and from within. Persecution and suffering are the shared fate of Christians everywhere. Yet an even greater enemy has come from within—the enemy of false teaching. The Gnostic philosophy, popular at this time, teaches that matter is inherently evil, and that human flesh is therefore evil. This philosophy has led not only to flagrant immorality in exercise of fleshly desires but also to the conclusion that God himself could not possibly become flesh....As if he were their father, John writes to his “little children” about the need to continue walking in the light of God’s righteousness. He warns his readers about the antichrists—those who teach that Jesus was not God in the flesh. Concerned with their daily walk, as well as their belief in Jesus’ deity, John exhorts them to lead lives befitting children of God. He points out that true believers can be distinguished from unbelievers by their mutual love, godly lives, and obedience to God’s commands. John concludes his letter by noting the assurance and security which God’s children have in Jesus Christ."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

While there are three letters in 1 John, the first of the three dominate in terms of themes and of the themes the two core themes include warnings of false teachers and encouragement to love God, love one another, that our love of God and one another compels us to obedience to God's commands - and such obedience is not burdensome because it flows from our love of God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who first loved me and sent His Son so that I would have forgiveness of sin and eternal life - the greatest gift of all time!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  My sin continues...including worry, etc. and other sin such as harshness of others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.