Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Many are saying about me, “God won’t rescue him.” But, Lord, you are my shield, my wonderful God who gives me courage. I will pray to the Lord, and he will answer me from his holy mountain. I can lie down and go to sleep, and I will wake up again, because the Lord gives me strength. Thousands of troops may surround me, but I am not afraid.

Genesis 6-9

Many are saying about me, “God won’t rescue him.” But, Lord, you are my shield, my wonderful God who gives me courage. I will pray to the Lord, and he will answer me from his holy mountain. I can lie down and go to sleep, and I will wake up again, because the Lord gives me strength. Thousands of troops may surround me, but I am not afraid. Psalm 3:2-6 (NCV)

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase)

Today I want to focus on how God provides believers with security, refuge and hope and how He wants us to share with others this security, refuge and hope.  When God was to flood the earth, He instructed Noah to build an ark to serve as a means to preserve Noah and his family.  There are many places where people place their security, refuge, and hope: homes, money, jobs, people, government, etc. Yet these things come and go and do not provide spiritual security, refuge and hope; and they do not last, certainly not for eternity.  We all need to place our security, refuge and hope in Jesus Christ so that we can weather the storms and flood in this life, and to provide for our eternal life as we must all be ready for either our own passing or for when Jesus returns both of which we don't know the timing.

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:24-27

“But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Matthew 24:36-39

For those of who have this security, refuge and hope we must give it away to others who need it.  God even helps us with the words to say - straight from scripture.

For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.” Zephaniah 3:17 (NLT)

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3 (NIV)

Now we hope for the blessings God has for his children. These blessings, which cannot be destroyed or be spoiled or lose their beauty, are kept in heaven for you. God’s power protects you through your faith until salvation is shown to you at the end of time. This makes you very happy, even though now for a short time different kinds of troubles may make you sad. 1 Peter 1:4-6 (NCV)

My highlighted verse for today comes from Psalms where David writes about how he feels refuge in God during a period of great fear when he fled from the persecution of his son Absalom (2 Samuel 15-18).

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You give me security, refuge, and hope - an ark - during times of great turbulence and distress.  You have seen me through periods of great pain.  I am grateful Jesus!  Yet I am not deserving.  I have grave sin in my life and it continues....worry, harshness of others, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.