Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

James 1-5

Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone. James 2:21-24

Day 353 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I read James. My commentary* bundles both the letters of James and Jude into a single day but given I feel there is already enough in James I broke this into two days and I will read Jude tomorrow. Both my commentary* and the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) write that James - the half brother of Christ - is the author of the letter from James in the NT.  My commentary also offers up the following: "[i]n the Gospel accounts there is an indication that Jesus’ brothers initially rejected his deity and lordship, but the historical record later includes his brothers as being among the disciples in Jerusalem following Christ’s ascension....If the traditional date of James’ death is accurate, then his letter must have been written prior to A.D. 62. It may have been as early as A.D. 50–60, but the exact date is not certain. Addressed to “the twelve tribes scattered among the nations” (a designation for the post-exilic Jews and, by extension, all Christians everywhere), the letter probably is intended for general distribution among the scattered churches of Christ. Unlike Paul, James does not struggle with deep issues of doctrine or comment upon any specific problems which a particular local church might be facing. Rather, he addresses himself to the crisis of persecution facing all the churches during this time."

"After discussing the nature of temptation, James writes at length concerning the need for consistency between faith and conduct. In context, James appears to be saying that only those who demonstrate true faith can endure the sufferings of the times, and that faith can be measured by conduct. It is also possible that James is urging consistency between belief and action as a source of strength against temptation. James closes his letter with various exhortations for saints having to endure suffering. Despite its immediate relevance to times of widespread persecution, James’ writing contains words of practical advice for every Christian’s daily walk."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

While James covers several topics in his letter, my focus this morning is how our lives - if we are to have true faith as James indicates - must bear fruit. Faith and acts work together.  See also my post from a couple of days ago upon reading Titus.

Although I highlight James 2:21-24, other verses on this topic from James' letter include: 

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. James 1:22-25

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? James 2:14

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. James 2:17

James letter provides us with a litmus test for our faith...as does Paul's letter Galatians where in 5:22-23 of the letter we have another litmus test.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I KNOW You have grown in my heart and worked in my life to make me more like You and produced fruit - thank You Jesus!  I also know that I am not done!  There is more work by You in me to be done.  Thank You Jesus for what You have done to sanctify and refine me but please forgive me for my sins that continue...worry, harshness, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.