Friday, January 29, 2021

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.

Job 1-42

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "Job: God's Presence in the Storm*".

*Title of lesson two from the Max Lucado study. 

As I start to read and unpack Job, my study starts with Job's initial response to the calamities that befell him in Job 1:13-19. Job falls down in worship and continues to see God reign and how He is worthy of praise - quite an amazing response indeed!  My study then moves to look at Job's friends and the wisdom of their advice.  I am encouraged by my study to seek "multitudes of counselors" and see how Job's friends, while they might have not offered entirely wise counsel, did offer some nuggets. 

One such nuggets include (from Eliphaz the Temanite):

“Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you. Accept instruction from his mouth and lay up his words in your heart. Job 22:21-22

My study points to Elihu (who speaks up in Job 32-37), who while younger than Job's three friends who have already taken a crack at providing their perspective, rebukes Job for attempting to justify himself vs God.  John Piper has an excellent post on how he believes Elihu provides wise counsel to Job. We should all have Elihu-type advisers in our lives.

Comment and discuss the post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has provided many great men and counselors in my life - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this and the many other ways that You bless me.  I continue to sin with worry and other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.