Monday, January 4, 2021

The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.”

Acts 21:17-23:35

The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.” Acts 23:11

Day 344 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning my focus returns to Acts where my commentary* notes: '[t]he prophecy of Agabus is soon to be fulfilled. Upon his return to Jerusalem, Paul now finds himself being arrested and attacked by local Jews who have been stirred up by certain men from Asia. Fortunately, however, Paul will be rescued by Roman soldiers acting under Claudius Lysias, the local Roman commander. The historical record sets forth Paul’s attempt to defend himself before a mob which is demanding his death, and indicates a fair reception to his discourse until he mentions being God’s messenger to the Gentiles. Angry crowd reaction to that assertion forces Claudius Lysias to take Paul into protective custody. On the following day, the record reveals that Paul is put on trial before the Sanhedrin Council, in much the same way that Jesus himself had been tried years earlier. By referring to his own heritage as a Pharisee, and to his belief in a resurrection after death, Paul adroitly sets the Pharisees in controversy against the Sadducees, who do not believe in a resurrection. In the debate which ensues, no charges are brought and Paul is returned to custody. When a plot to kill Paul is uncovered, Paul is secreted away by night to Caesarea, where he will later be brought before the governor, Felix. Now, as Luke records Paul’s arrival in Jerusalem before his arrest, an effort is made by James and the elders at Jerusalem to calm the anxiety of Jewish Christians, who are uncertain about Paul’s teaching."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

In Acts 21:40-22:41, Paul, in his defense, boldly tells his story to his accusers. God wants all of us to be able to tell our testimony - boldly (see also Acts 4:20) - just as Paul (and Peter, etc.) tells his story to his accusers.  On the subject of how to prepare to give our testimony, John Piper provides this excellent post which encourages us to not be anxious or to overly prepare in advance - instead we are to lean on Him and the Word to guide us in our words.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I am humbled how You have used me and my story to reach others.  I've been blessed by the experiences I've had and I hope I have been a blessing to others. Thank You Jesus for the blessings You have provided me and for guiding me in the process...and for all the blessings You continue to provide and have so richly already provided - it is overwhelming.  I am not deserving of such blessings. I worry, I gossip, I place other cares and concerns above You, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.