Monday, January 18, 2021

Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

Hebrews 6:13-10:18

Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. Hebrews 7:26-27

Day 358 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - today I continue with the book of Hebrews. Today's scripture reading has the author describing Christ as a perfect priest, and the superiority of Christ's covenant and sacrifice. 

As I posted yesterday, we have a God and a Great High Priest who can empathize with us and He is approachable - He wants a relationship with us.  Today's scripture includes verses that strengthen and re-emphasize these points by highlighting how God meets our needs.   This post from DesiringGod.com provides additional commentary using these verses from Hebrews and other scriptures.  

Come near to God and he will come near to you. James 4:8

Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:12-13
 
I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. Proverbs 8:17

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him. Lamentations 3:25
 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is always near to me, always available to me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of a God who loves me as You do.  I often neglect my relationship with You or fail to place You as a priority in my life - please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.