Saturday, January 9, 2021

How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!

Philippians 1-4

How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! Psalm 133:1

Day 349 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this afternoon I read the last of Paul's prison epistles - Philippians. My commentary* notes in this letter: "While still imprisoned, Paul also reaches out to the Christians in Philippi, with whom he has maintained close ties since his three visits to their city. Paul clearly feels a special relationship to the Philippians, not only because of his close association with them in past years but also because they have often generously contributed to his support....In this letter Paul is writing to a small-town congregation in which two women, Euodia and Syntyche, have had a falling out. As is so often the case when personality conflicts develop, their personal animosity is splitting the whole church. Therefore Paul pleads with the two women—and indeed all Christians—to learn to love each other more. Paul bases his appeal on the bedrock example of Christ’s own humility in putting others’ interests first, even at great personal cost. The apostle urges them to sacrifice their selfish feelings and to commit themselves to working out their problems, particularly in light of the fact that their pagan neighbors are watching their behavior. He points out that his appeal is not based upon any credentials that he himself might have, but upon the compelling love of Christ which was demonstrated in his life and sacrificial death. This love, says Paul, is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy—and the only basis upon which fractured groups or interpersonal relations may be healed."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Although, as noted by both my commentary* as well as commentary from the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) which both indicate several themes (including Paul's thankfulness for the Philippians' financial support, and for warnings about false teachers), this afternoon I am most struck by how Paul focuses on an exhortation to Euodia and Syntyche to put aside their disagreements and focus on service and love of one another as a gesture of unity within the local church. John MacArthur indicates that "apparently, the disunity in the Philippian church was about to destroy the integrity of its testimony". 

I often struggle with pride and arrogance and these sins cause me to lash out to others in various settings and of course this causes problems of disunity and fracture.  Paul stresses humility and service to others once again as a means to drive unity.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me with other believers in the church - these people have supported and encouraged me through difficult times and I am grateful.  Thank You Jesus! Yet I often put my own interests above others and this causes great harm.  Please forgive me Jesus for these sins and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.