Sunday, January 3, 2021

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

Acts 20:3-21:16

However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. Acts 20:24

Day 343 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning my focus returns to Acts where Paul leaves Corinth (where Romans was likely written) enroute to Syria as my commentary* notes "...Paul addresses the elders from the church at Ephesus and tells them that he anticipates possible imprisonment and persecution upon his return to Jerusalem. Paul undoubtedly also warns them of the danger of falling away from the teaching of Christ—a concern which he will address at length in various letters later in his life. Sadly, concluding his close association with the church in Ephesus, Paul leaves resolutely to face whatever outcome awaits him in Syria." While in Caesarea, a prophet named Agabus prophecies that Paul will be bound and handed over to the authorities in Jerusalem. Yet Paul is not concerned.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

All of us will encounter troubles in our lives (see also John 16:33, , ) and we can look to Paul for encouragement in how he modeled his race.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who will never leave or forsake me.  I know that whatever challenge I encounter, You are with me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love. My sin continues.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your word for me today and every day.