Thursday, January 7, 2021

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands.

Colossians 1-4, Philemon 1

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Colossians 2:8-11

Day 347 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I start with two of the Prison Epistles: Colossians and Philemon, which my commentary* indicates "[d]uring these two years of house arrest, generally believed to be about A.D. 61–63, Paul writes four letters which have come to be known as the Prison Epistles. Two of them, the letter to the Colossians and the letter to Philemon, are probably written at the same time. Although Paul has never visited Colossae, one of his companions during this time, Epaphras, has been preaching in the towns of Colossae, Laodicea, and Hierapolis. Epaphras has evidently informed Paul of the pagan secularism which threatens the churches in that region." 

With Paul's letter to the church in Philemon, my commentary* indicates "[b]efore coming to Rome and being converted by Paul, Onesimus had been a slave of a Christian named Philemon. Onesimus (whose name means “useful”) had run away from Philemon and had evidently taken some money or property belonging to his master. Paul now writes to Philemon on behalf of Onesimus and asks that Philemon accept Onesimus back as a brother in Christ. The letter is an insightful study in personal relationships among Christians and contrasts the freedoms that come when one is under bondage to Christ."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

As Paul writes the church in Colossae, he warns the church about pagan worship and its "deceptive" philosophy.  He then makes it clear who Christ is and our focus with our life should be on Him. Peter also warns us about how we can be deceived.   

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Comment and discuss this post here!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who helps protect me from the prince of this world - thank You Jesus!  I desire to focus on You as You created me, bless me, and died for me - thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin continues, including selfishness, etc.  Please forgive me.  Help me turn from and overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.