Thursday, January 14, 2021

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Jude 1

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh. Jude 1:22-23

Day 354 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I read Jude. My commentary notes: "Jude is trying to combat a widely believed philosophy which denies that the sins of the flesh can affect the soul—a philosophy which, naturally enough, has led to flagrant immorality. In order to stress the potentially dangerous consequences of such teaching, Jude uses both Old Testament and extra-biblical writings (the book of Enoch) to remind his readers of God’s judgment upon the ungodly."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

I have previously posted on Jude, John MacArthur* provides additional commentary on those deserving of mercy here: "[t]here are several textual variants here which could result in either two or three groups being indicated. They are: (1) sincere doubters who deserve compassion (v. 22); (2) those who are deeper in unbelief and urgently need to be pulled from the fire (v. 23); and (3) those declared disciples of apostasy who still deserve mercy, but are to be handled with much fear (v. 23; included in better manuscripts), lest the would-be-rescuer also be spiritually sullied. Given the manuscripts evidence and Jude’s pattern of writing in triads, three groups is the more likely scenario."

"These victims of the apostate teachers need mercy and patience because they have not yet reached a firm conclusion about Christ and eternal life, and so remain doubters who could possibly be swayed to the truth. 23 others save. Others, who are committed to the errors taught by the apostates, need immediate and forthright attention before they are further entrenched on the road to the fire of hell (cf. v. 7) as a result of embracing deceptive lies. with fear. This third group also needs mercy, even though they are thoroughly polluted by apostate teaching. These people are to be given the true gospel, but with great fear, lest the deliverer be contaminated also. The defiled garment pictures the apostate’s debauched life, which can spread its contagion to the well-meaning evangel."

*MacArthur, John F.. The MacArthur Bible Commentary. Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. 

MacArthur's insights this morning provide great help in emphasizing how we are to not hold back mercy, even for those whom we might otherwise believe are beyond the point of no return with regards to apostasy.  Jude does also emphasize how we are to exercise caution here but we are nonetheless to be generous with our mercy.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is MORE than generous with Your mercy for me - thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving for how You distribute mercy - I worry, lack patience, etc. and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.