Tuesday, January 12, 2021

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

2 Timothy 1-4

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:3-5

Day 352 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I read Paul's second letter to Timothy. My commentary indicates: "[a]lthough there is no direct biblical record which sheds light on the matter, it appears that Paul may have been rearrested in either Nicopolis or Troas and returned to Rome under a sentence of death. This seems likely, because in a second letter to Timothy, written perhaps A.D. 64–67, Paul once again refers to himself as a prisoner and also mentions having made what was apparently a legal defense. The tone of Paul’s last known letter indicates that Paul knows his time is short. Several of his supporters have deserted him in the face of persecution, and Paul wants Timothy to come to him as soon as possible....Paul warns Timothy about the coming of opposition and encourages him to be strong in defense of the faith. There is a sense of urgency in his exhortations, as if Timothy is Paul’s last link with future generations of those to whom the gospel will be entrusted....No records indicate whether Timothy was ever able to be with Paul before Paul died. Although the exact date and circumstances of Paul’s death are unknown, early historical consensus establishes that Paul died a martyr’s death. In any event, the second letter to Timothy apparently was Paul’s last."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Paul's primary focus for Timothy is to exhort and encourage him in his preaching and ministry. Paul often alludes to his present condition - apparently imprisoned per both this commentary* as well per the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase). MacArthur postulates that Paul's rearrest and imprisonment this time is due "apparently...as part of Nero's persecution of Christians".  Paul also refers to Godless times and a time when "people will not put up with sound doctrine" (2 Timothy 4:3). While I am not referring to end times, I do see great Godless-ness in our country.  Now, more than ever, the need is great to endure.

I am encouraged by some of Paul's last words:

But God’s word is not chained. 2 Timothy 4:9

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives me the Holy Spirit, the church, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and Your Word, all of which are manifestations of You and Your Power.  I am blessed by all of these and by so much more - all of which comes from You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving however.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.