Thursday, January 21, 2021

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Revelation 1-3

Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. Revelation 3:19-22

Day 361 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I reach the final chapter of the NT and Bible - Revelation. Last year at this time, I started a more comprehensive study of Revelation from David Platt.  Check out posts from that study here. This time around it's more of a refresher and brief overview over the course of a few days as I wrap my chronological study of the Bible.

My commentary provides the following notes/overview on the book of Revelation: "[i]n his last years, perhaps around A.D. 95–96, the aging apostle is found exiled on the Greek island of Patmos during the reign of the Roman Emperor Domitian. On a particular Lord’s day, as John relates the experience, he receives through an angel a revelation from the Spirit of God in which he is directed to write what he sees and to send it to seven churches in Asia. Those churches, as well as others at this time, are facing severe persecution and suffering because of their faith in Christ. The circumstances therefore warrant both admonition and encouragement....

....What John sees and records is a prophecy, both strange and moving, in which Christ as sovereign Lord engages in battle with the forces of evil and is clearly the Victor. The account is couched in figurative language, supernatural imagery, and verbal and numerical symbolism that is not easy to fully comprehend. Yet it stirs an excitement about the future for all Christians and gives hope that present sufferings will be lost in a victory so wonderful that the mind of man can only begin to grasp it.... 

....The Revelation is the consummation of God’s scheme of redemption for man, as presented systematically throughout the Bible. In the early Genesis account, God was declared to be the omnipotent Creator of the universe, worthy of praise for his majesty and power. The created universe was wholly good until penetrated by the power of Satan, who acquainted man with the evil of sin and its consequences. Because of man’s sin, man came to need redemption and reconciliation with God. Through his chosen nation of Israel, God provided for that redemption. The Old Testament records God’s power of judgment which was made known through Moses, the law, and the prophets. Then, as recorded in the Gospel accounts, came the good news that man’s Redeemer had come to earth in fulfillment of the law and prophecy. Jesus the Christ brought a new righteousness of faith, a faith having the power of salvation. In dying on the cross and in being resurrected from the grave, Jesus triumphed over Satan’s power of death. Based upon that demonstration of his lordship and power, the church was born and grew to swelling numbers and influence. When the church was met with opposition and persecution, the apostles and other inspired writers penned their various epistles to encourage their fellow Christians to persevere, in prospect of their final redemption in the life to come."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Both David Platt and the author of my current commentary emphasize the encouraging nature of Revelation.  Yes, battle and destruction is described, yet for those who believe and remain firm in their faith we should be encouraged because we know that Jesus is and has already won the victory we seek - victory over both sin and death.  The end of Revelation 3 offers these great encouraging words that describe the relationship Jesus wants with all of creation - an incredible invitation filled with mercy, compassion and love.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who offers a deep and loving relationship that is unsurpassed in how it sustains and fulfills like no other.  Thank You Jesus for adopting me into Your family!  I am not deserving of such love.  I gossip, am often harsh with others and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.