Saturday, January 16, 2021

Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1-3

Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:17-18

Day 356 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I read 2 Peter. 

My commentary* notes: "[o]ne of the interesting aspects of Peter’s second letter is the prediction of his own imminent death. This seems to indicate that the letter is written very near the end of Peter’s life, perhaps after the death of Paul and possibly about A.D. 64. The letter is similar in content both to Jude’s letter, which warned against false teachers, and to Paul’s discussion of the second coming in his two letters to the Thessalonians. The error being taught by these false teachers presumably is in regard to the second coming. Evidently their teaching concerning the actual time of the Lord’s reappearance is leading some not only to a life of idleness (against which Paul had warned) but also to worldliness and immorality. It is exactly the same problem which the prophet Malachi addressed. When the promised Messiah did not appear soon after his coming was foretold, many Jews became cynical and turned away from God altogether. Here now, some five centuries later, some Christians who have not been blessed with an immediate second coming of the Messiah are also giving up and living lives un-befitting Christians.

"It is to this situation that Peter now addresses his own warnings. Peter begins his letter by stressing the importance of true spiritual knowledge. He warns his readers to beware of those who might pervert the gospel of Christ by teaching a counterfeit doctrine. Like Malachi, Peter concludes by clarifying once again that, although Christ has not reappeared as quickly as some have expected, both his coming and the judgment of man are as certain as God’s Word itself. The strong implication is that some of his readers ought to be thankful that the Lord has not yet come again, because if he had, they would not have been ready!"

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Peter's words are both a warning and an encouragement as yes the Second Coming will arrive and it will be devastating for those who are not ready and have not accepted Jesus Christ as their Lord Savior.  But for those who are ready, Heaven awaits.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare. 2 Peter 3:10

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. 2 Peter 3:13

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has given me hope and security beyond this world - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You seal me and preserve me.  My sin continues...including inaction in the areas where You want me to grow, worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.