Friday, January 8, 2021

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.... Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 1-6

 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.... Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 3:16-19, 5:1-2

Day 348 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I continue with another Prison Epistle: Ephesians. My commentary* notes how there is some debate whether the letter is written to the church specifically in Ephesus or to churches more broadly in the area around Ephesus. "Whatever its intended destination, the message is universal. Paul writes about the exalted relationship between Christ and the church and the practical results which that knowledge ought to bring into the lives of individual Christians. He begins by summarizing how God’s eternal plan is revealed through Christ, then proceeds to teach various lessons regarding the church, personal righteousness, earthly relationships, and the Christian’s relationship with God."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

For purposes of a post this morning in the context of this study - there is far too much in the entire book of Ephesians to do justice by calling out one set of verses vs another - there are many nuggets here. Yet, consistent with Jesus' words that loving God and loving others are the two most important commandments, I am focusing on Paul's exhortations on these two commands.  I am not ignoring Paul's words on relationships (Ephesians 5:21-6:9) and other important points of scripture in this book but instead focusing on what I believe is most important.

We all must understand (or attempt to understand to the extent we can) the depth of God's love for us and this of course should motivate us to love Him and others.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and time and time again You have blessed me and continue to do so.  I am not deserving of how You love and bless me.  I worry and have other sins.  Please forgive me for my worry and other sins and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.