Saturday, January 2, 2021

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Romans 12-16

Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. Romans 13:8-10

Day 342 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this evening the focus is chapters 9-11 of Paul's letter to the believers in Rome. In these chapters, Paul starts but pointing us to "true and proper worship" by "offering our bodies as a living sacrifice" (vs empty ritualistic/ceremonial sacrifices - see also Hosea 6:6, Matthew 9:13). The implication here is that we are to develop healthy spiritual disciplines of daily Bible study, prayer, corporate worship, service, etc. and seek Him (see also recent post on daily renewal). Paul then moves on to how are to form the church through use of our different gifts and how these gifts mutually support each other.  We are instructed to love above all, including to our enemies.  We are to show respect and support to civil authorities as these are authorities placed above us by God.  We are to support those with weaker faiths by building them up (discipleship).

My Prayer: Jesus, You are an amazing God - the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  You came to earth to seek and save me...and You suffered a brutal and humbling death, even though You lived a sinless life.  Of course I am grateful but I am undeserving of all that You are and do for me. My sin continues...selfishness, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.