Saturday, January 30, 2021

Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm.

Job 1-42

Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm. Job 38:1

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This afternoon, I continue with the story of "Job: God's Presence in the Storm*".

*Title of lesson two from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day two of my study of Job starts by having me focus on the motivation of Job to find himself righteous in his discourse from Job 26-31.  See Job 32:1 where it says (just prior to when Elihu finishes speaking to Job at the end of Job 37):

So these three men stopped answering Job, because he was righteous in his own eyes. Job 32:1

My study guide asks me to review Psalm 22:1 where David says:

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? Psalm 22:1

Arrogance and pride lead to such thoughts of righteous in one's own eyes and for one to think that God has forsaken him/her. I know these thoughts as I have struggled with such thoughts (and acted on them) significantly in my life and I have posted frequently on them here with this blog.  

I am then led to Job 38:1 where Max Lucado seeks to have us look deeply at how God speaks to Job "out of the storm".  I am drawn to an image where I see God WITH Job (and any of us in a storm) in the storm. We need to recognize how God IS with us during the storms in our life. 

Lucado encourages us to remember three key points:

  1. "An encounter with God-whether or not it is as dramatic as Job's encounter-will forever change our outlook on life."
  2. "God allows us to pour out our concerns questions, and emotions to him, and then extends [H]is mercy to us."
  3. "Just as God spoke out of the storm and into the storm of Job's life, [H]e meets us where we are in whatever situation we are facing."

 I have been in storms many times in my life and looking back I can see how God was with me each time.  I pray that God give me the wisdom and strength to see Him in whatever future storms I might face.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who is always with me - thank You Jesus.  Thank You for calming the storms and seeing me through EVERY time!  I am not deserving of such love.  I am selfish and I worry among my many sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strnegth.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.