Saturday, September 4, 2021

All fat is the Lord's. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, in all your dwelling places, that you eat neither fat nor blood.

Leviticus 3

All fat is the Lord's. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, in all your dwelling places, that you eat neither fat nor blood. Leviticus 3:16-17

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - looking at chapter three - Peace with God - covering 3:1-17, looking specifically at the theme We Submit to the Word of God.  Here, the commentary urges us to look carefully at the details of God's commands for animal sacrifice as part of the Old Testament sacrificial system.  Many, including myself, often ask about these details and the role they play in the Bible - similar details are expressed in the construction of God's temple (first constructed by Solomon in 1 Kings). My commentary offers great insight on this question on several fronts, including how in Leviticus 3 we see details about how certain parts of animal (kidneys, fat, entrails, liver) are to be cut up and offered. Blood is also to be sprinkled on the sides of the altar.  The commentary writes how pagan/Canaanite worship, at the time Leviticus was written, used animal liver as a form of divination called hepatoscopy:  "[t]he one true God told His people not to save that part of the animal--not for divination or for anything else--but to burn the liver on the altar.  They were not looking at a liver to determine the future; they were trusting in God for the future."  God detests such pagan worship. Similarly, the commentary writes how the offering of blood during sacrifice represents "the giving of life" as blood, and how blood carries oxygen to all parts of the body is the key to life.  The commentary summarizes the use of details during animal sacrifice (again, done away with in the New Covenant with Jesus Christ) as important to the extent that God did not want empty, mindless rituals, and the use of such details forced worshipers to slow down to ensure careful following of God's commands.  Such a message should not be lost on believers in Christ and we should not speed through empty rituals as we approach Christ with any aspect of our worship.  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who provides a path for atonement and a path to reconcile with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You provide this path or for any of the blessings You pour out for me.  I worry, am harsh with others, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.