Wednesday, September 22, 2021

How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?

Leviticus 6-7

How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:29

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter seven - Serving God in God's Way - covering Leviticus 6:8-7:38, looking specifically at the theme - We Maintain Holiness Before God.  Here, the commentary focuses on how God desires us to avoid uncleanliness (or sin), and for us to "show reverence for God's means of atonement."  In several places in the text for today, God commands the Israelites to keep the place of worship clean - the implication being for Christians of today is (per the commentary) that God "does not want us to engage in something holy, like worship, when our lives are unholy.  He wants us to live holy lives and offer holy worship." We are urged to see how this principal in Leviticus shows up elsewhere in scripture, including Isaiah 52:11 and in 2 Corinthians 6:17 when Paul quotes Isaiah 52:11. 

The commentary for today and this chapter wraps by urging believes to not treat Christ's sacrifice "flippantly."  God designed the Old Testament sacrificial system and all of its details perfectly with an eye towards having the Israelites work through the details carefully to ensure complete obedience to God.  While this sacrificial systems is no longer used for Christians, God nonetheless wants us to see Christ's death on the cross as a very serious matter and an act that demands both our attention and ongoing focus was we approach worship and every aspect of our life.  We must remain right with God.  As a scriptural basis for how we are to remain right with God and to not treat His death on the cross flippantly we are to refer to Hebrews 10:29.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are Holy and You are perfect and all of your designs are perfect, including how You command us to worship.  I have also seen Your perfect design in my life with how You orchestrate the many blessings I experience - thank You Jesus!  Yet there are times when my worship is treated flippantly - please forgive me Jesus! Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.