Monday, September 27, 2021

And he killed it, and Moses took some of its blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear and on the thumb of his right hand and on the big toe of his right foot. Then he presented Aaron's sons, and Moses put some of the blood on the lobes of their right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet.

Leviticus 8

And he killed it, and Moses took some of its blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear and on the thumb of his right hand and on the big toe of his right foot. Then he presented Aaron's sons, and Moses put some of the blood on the lobes of their right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet. Leviticus 8:23-24

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter eight - Are You Ready to Serve - covering Leviticus 8:1-8:36, looking specifically at the theme - Demonstrate Dedication to Serve.  Here, the commentary focuses on the ordination offering as described in v8:22-29. Specifically, we are referred to v23-24 where Moses puts blood on the ear and toe of Aaron, and he does the same for Aaron's sons. The commentary then uses the colloquialism "from head-to-toe," to show how all of Aaron and his sons were fully dedicated to serve.  We are then referred to the hymn Take My Life, and Let it Be, and also to the Hebrew word translation of ordination as "to fill the hand."  This "filling of the hand" implies how not only God equips us with the tools (spiritual gifts) needed to serve, but also to show us that God gave us hands to serve the church and others (see 1 Corinthians 12, and Galatians 5:13).  We are urged to see that work must be done and believers are not to be idle.  We must not only not be idle, but we must be - just as Jesus was in His ministry as described in the gospel books - dedicated to serve.  

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me and others with spiritual gifts so that we can serve You and others.  I have been blessed by the spiritual gifts of others - Your design is perfect and awesome! Thank You for the dedication of others to serve. Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am not deserving of how You bless me - my sin of worry, harsh words, etc. continues.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friens and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve, You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.