Wednesday, September 8, 2021

“If anyone of the common people sins unintentionally in doing any one of the things that by the Lord's commandments ought not to be done, and realizes his guilt, or the sin which he has committed is made known to him, he shall bring for his offering a goat, a female without blemish, for his sin which he has committed....Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin.

Leviticus 4

“If anyone of the common people sins unintentionally in doing any one of the things that by the Lord's commandments ought not to be done, and realizes his guilt, or the sin which he has committed is made known to him, he shall bring for his offering a goat, a female without blemish, for his sin which he has committed....Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. Leviticus 4:27-28, Romans 7:1

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter four - How God Deals with Sin - covering Leviticus 4:1-35, looking specifically at the theme God Frees People from Past Sin.  Here, the commentary looks at how sin is made known to us so that we may make atonement for our sin.  First, God gives us salvation and faith through redemption and justification, and we then have this freedom from sin.  We then are progressively sanctified as God makes known sin to us through the Word and Holy Spirit, and further refines us as we submit to Him. My commentary points out how in the Old Testament God frees the Israelites from bondage in Egypt, giving them freedom; He then gives them the law - again to make sin known to us where we then have path to atonement through the sacrificial system.  We are urged to see the order of freedom then the giving of the law - this order is important. For believers in Christ Jesus, while the sacrificial system (animal sacrifice) is done away with, my commentary describes this same process applies. "First comes His redemption, then comes His law.  Praise God, He frees people from past sin!"  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for both my freedom in Christ and for giving me the law so that I can know sin.  I seek to become more like You and seek to rid myself of as much sin as possible - I know that through Christ this is possible!  You are a God like no other!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of this and all the blessings - which my words cannot describe - You pour out for me. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.