Friday, September 10, 2021

He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself.

Leviticus 4

He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself. Hebrews 7:27

This evening, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter four - How God Deals with Sin - covering Leviticus 4:1-35, looking specifically at the theme Jesus Fulfills the Old Covenant Sacrifices for Sin. Here, my commentary focuses on how even as God commanded the Israelites to follow the sacrificial system as written in Leviticus, "God knew that He intended the levitical sacrificial system to be temporary.  God knew His people would corrupt His sacrifices." Ultimately, as my commentary goes further, "they went through the motions as if the ritual itself was sufficient to atone for sin, like someone attending church with the assumption that their mere presence in the building means that all is well with them spiritually."  The commentary refers to "legalism" and "ritualism" as over-emphasis on the "doing" of the letter of the law without concern to an appropriate heart condition that seeks to love God first and foremost and to glorify Him for who He is and what He has done. The commentary also raises an important question which is "why didn't God simply send His Son immediately after Adam and Eve's sin?"  The commentary responds by stating God intended to demonstrate a powerful lesson that was to be clear - NONE of us are able to be righteous without God and we also ALL need God to be reconciled to Him as our sin separates us from Him.  

The commentary then moves to describe how God's lessons regarding sacrifice prepared the way for Jesus.  In Leviticus, we see several types of sacrificial offerings - burnt, grain, peace/fellowship, purification - to demonstrate that no single sacrifice was sufficient and that even together such a system was imperfect as it was offered by humans.  The commentary points to several verses, including Hebrews 7:27, where it is stated that Christ died once for all and became the perfect sacrifice and atonement for all sin, for all of humanity, for all of eternity. He did this so that just so that we could have a path to atonement and reconciliation with Him - what an act of grace...amazing grace!

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You offered Yourself and died on the cross so that I could have forgiveness from sin and be reconciled to You - amazing!  The greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving of that or any other blessing You pour out for me.  Thank You Jesus.  Yet my sin continues...worry, gossip, harshness with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.