Monday, September 13, 2021

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.

 Leviticus 5

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. James 5:16

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter five - Five Eternal, Counter Cultural Truths about God, Us and Our Sin - covering Leviticus 5:1-13, looking specifically at the theme God Requires Confession of Guilt. Building on my post yesterday that focused on how we all sin, including unintentional sin (omission) and with sin resulting from impure or unholy thoughts (hate, lust, envy, etc.), my commentary this morning focuses on confession once we realize our guilt - it is a critical and daily act that we must bring before God as we repent and ask for forgiveness. The commentary discusses how God's intention for confession in the Old Testament was that it be a visual and public display.  In the New Testament, we read in James 5:16 how we are to confess our sins to one another, implying that we at least confess our sins to those perhaps that we have "injured", but also implying that there are occasions when public confession is also appropriate. John Piper provides a thoughtful post on the matter.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed God as You are gracious and compassionate - providing a path for atonement through Your Son Jesus Christ - who died once and for all.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I have impure thoughts and say things that are harmful.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.