Saturday, September 25, 2021

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound[.]

Leviticus 8

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound[.] Isaiah 61:1, Luke 4:18

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter eight - Are You Ready to Serve - covering Leviticus 8:1-8:36, looking specifically at the theme - Be Consecrated to Serve.  Here, the commentary focuses on how God directed Moses to anoint Aaron and his sons to serve in the priesthood.  Anointing oil, the anointing of the altar, and the anointing of Aaron and his sons is mentioned seven times in Leviticus 8 (v2, 10, 11, 12, 30).  The act of anointing the altar, Aaron, and his sons is God's way of "pouring out His blessing" on the altar, Aaron, and his sons.  With the anointing process, God's bestows spiritual power and position.   This process is mentioned throughout scripture, including with kings Saul (1 Samuel 9), David (1 Samuel 16), and Solomon (1 Chronicles 29). The commentary also refers us to Luke 4:18 and how Jesus quotes the messianic prophecy from Isaiah 61:1. Believers are also referred to as anointed - 1 John 2:20.  The commentary wraps up by observing how too often those who seek success focus on the secular aspects of how to get ahead, but don't seek "the one thing we need more than anything else if we are ever to" not only serve God effectively, but also to live successfully.  "We need God's anointing-His blessing and power.  That is His consecration to serve Him."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has equipped me to serve, and I have seen Your hand at work moving in the lives of others as You worked in me to serve others - thank You for the blessings to experience this.  Yet I am not deserving of how You have blessed me in this way and in all the ways You bless me.  I have sin - every day - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul,  and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.