Thursday, September 16, 2021

Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”...Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.”

 Leviticus 5-6

Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine; and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you shall speak to the people of Israel.”...Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.” Exodus 19:5-6, 24:7

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter six - When We Are Guilty - covering Leviticus 5:14-6:7, looking specifically at the theme - We Are Guilty When We Violate Our Covenant Relationship with God. Here, the commentary describes the restitution offering, which as part of the Old Testament sacrificial system, includes "provisions for reparations, or restitution, to be made against whom we sin." See v5:16 where "restitution" is described, and v6:4-5 where we are instructed to "restore" or compensate those we've sinned against. As the commentary starts to unpack the chapter theme - When We Are Guilty - it starts by looking at the covenant God makes with His people, first in the Old Testament, and then ultimately with Jesus Christ with the Second Covenant.  The commentary urges us to look the covenant God establishes with the Israelites at Mount Sinai as written in Exodus 19 and 24.  The commentary then states that in the context of the covenant we make with God - as established in the Old Testament with the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20 and superseded with the Second Covenant - when we sin, regardless of the nature of our sin, it is sin nonetheless and we are being unfaithful to God and we are breaking the covenant we have with God. Of course, as I have been posting recently, although sin separates us from God, He provides a path for atonement, reconciliation and forgiveness.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God in that although we are unfaithful - as believers - to You and the covenant we establish with You, You are full of grace and compassion and provide a path for atonement, reconciliation, and forgiveness.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace and compassion.  My sin continues, including worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.