Monday, September 20, 2021

Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out.

 Leviticus 6-7

Fire shall be kept burning on the altar continually; it shall not go out. Leviticus 6:13

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - starting chapter seven - Serving God in God's Way - covering Leviticus 6:8-7:38, looking specifically at the theme - We Depend on God's Presence. Here, the commentary points out what anyone who has read the previous chapters of Leviticus would already notice - that it seems that God is simply repeating his law for the various offerings described in previous chapters (burnt, grain, fellowship, sin, restitution offerings).  Yet the commentary urges us to slow down and pay attention to the details - to read the Bible with what John Piper refers to as "aggressive attentiveness." Of course, if we do this here in Leviticus 6:8-7:38 we can see new, previously undisclosed details of God's law not mentioned in previous scripture. As I begin this chapter of the commentary, I am urged to, as the title of the chapter in the commentary states, "serve God in God's Way," not in my way and not to accomplish via human means what only God can do. 

The commentary provides three takeaways for today, using three subheadings, with the first being "The Perpetual Fire Reminded the People of Their Access to God's Presence."  We are pointed to the text where it says three times in v6:9,12, and 13 that the fire on the altar must not go out - it must continue burning. We are reminded that no matter what the circumstances, including pain and suffering, that God is always with us.  The commentary uses Jeremiah 1:8 and of course Matthew 28:20 as examples of God's promise that He is always with us.  

The next takeaway (subheading) is "The Perpetual Fire Reminded the People of the Availability of Atonement." With the fire always burning, regardless of where the temple exists, the presence of light and fire served as an encouragement that God is never "Closed for Business", but instead atonement is not only available for everyone, but at any time.

The final takeaway (subheading) is "The Perpetual Fire Reminded the People of the Activity of God Among Them." The commentary states how "God gave these laws concerning how these sacrifices [Old Testament sacrificial system] would be offered before the first sacrifice was offered." It points us to Leviticus 9:24 where it states how "[f]ire came [out] from the Lord."  The commentary further points out fire repeatedly in scripture represents God's activity - examples including the burning bush (Exodus 3), and how God led the Israelites out of Egypt by a pillar of cloud and fire (Exodus 13:21-22).

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me, who never leaves or forsakes me, is always available for atonement, and is always at work...thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  My sin is great and it continues...worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.