Sunday, September 19, 2021

Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

 Leviticus 5-6

Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” Romans 7:7

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter six - When We Are Guilty - covering Leviticus 5:14-6:7, looking specifically at the theme - God Provides for the Cancellation of Our Guilt.  Here, the commentary is rich with takeaways as it starts with the sub-heading God Requires Realization of Sin. It describes how the phrase "realizes his guilt" appears in Leviticus 6:4 and upon closer inspection we can see this phrase six times, emphasizing how an acknowledgement of sin is critical to our faith. To see the need for Jesus, you must first acknowledge your sin. The commentary digs deeper and writes how such an acknowledgement is not based on a worldly view of right and wrong but instead on God's view alone, and as written in the Bible; and the more we read the Bible, the more we should be drawn to God, because God reveals our sin to us in the Bible - we are pointed to Romans 7:7 as an example. Of course our brothers and sisters in Christ also play a role in "sharpening" us, as does the Holy Spirit. The commentary points us to Martin Luther's writings (see commentary on 3:19) on the role of the Law in helping us see our sin. 

The commentary then pivots to the next sub-heading God Requires Restitution for Sin (as described in v5:16, 6:4) and here it describes how we are to have Godly-grief over sin vs worldly grief (see 2 Corinthians 7:9-10). Such grief leads to true repentance - and changed behavior/lives - which is the restitution God seeks from us over our sin. 

Finally, the commentary writes in the sub-heading God Requires Receiving His Atonement that Jesus death on the cross is what God wants for us - He knew the Old Testament sacrificial system was going to be insufficient for our atonement so He sent His Son.  Isaiah 53:10 prophecies such a plan:

Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him; he has put him to grief; when his soul makes an offering for guilt, he shall see his offspring; he shall prolong his days; the will of the Lord shall prosper in his hand. Isaiah 53:10

We must acknowledge our sin as we all sin, are in need of Savior, and Jesus Christ is that Savior.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives atonement for my sin - through Jesus Christ.  Thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time.  Yet I am undeserving of such grace and compassion.  My sin continues every single day.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.