Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

Leviticus 6-7

Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings? In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel. 1 Corinthians 9:13-14

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing chapter seven - Serving God in God's Way - covering Leviticus 6:8-7:38, looking specifically at the theme - We Provide for Worship Leaders. Here, the commentary focuses on how throughout v6:8-7:38 - specifically 6:16-18, 6:29, 7:5-8, and 7:11 - God commands the Israelites to set aside portions of the various sacrifices for the priests.  The commentary then turns to believers who are to see how, even though the Old Testament sacrificial system was done away with Christ's sacrifice on the cross, God still seeks for us to support our worship leaders. During the period of the Old Testament when Leviticus was written, priests' only means of sustenance and provision was through their role in the tabernacle and temple.   The commentary points us to 1 Corinthians 9:13-14 where Paul "repeats" this call for worshipers to support worship leaders; similarly, Paul writes about how elders should be afforded the same support in 1 Timothy 5:17-18. We are urged to see how Paul uses Deuteronomy 25:4 and 24:14-15 as the scriptural basis for what he writes in 1 Corinthians 9 and 1 Timothy 5. 

The commentary closes by ensuring that we are clear that "God does not command us to support Him" as "nowhere does the Bible imply that God needs or lacks something...He commanded sacrificial offerings not because He needs anything from us, but because we need the sacrifice to take the penalty for our sin so we will be allowed to come into His presence to be reconciled to Him."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who is so full of compassion and mercy for me - You have placed great pastors in my life who have encouraged and supported me - I am grateful!  Yet I am undeserving for how You have blessed me in this way and in all ways....I have been critical of pastors my criticism is sinful...please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me support my pastors.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.