Monday, September 6, 2021

For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility....Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Leviticus 3, 7

For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility....Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ….Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. Ephesians 2:14, Romans 5:1, John 14:27

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - wrapping up at chapter three - Peace with God - covering Leviticus 3:1-17, looking specifically at the final themes We Express Thanksgiving to God, We Give Our Best to God, We Share Our Lives with the People of God, and We Find Peace with God. Here, my commentary describes the peace offering in Leviticus 3 and 7 (ESV) as the fellowship offering, and a quick check of the NIV translation reveals how these translations (ESV and NIV) both refer to the same offering - peace (ESV) and fellowship (NIV).

Aligning with the themes for today, my commentary urges us to see how the peace/fellowship offering:

  • offers thanksgiving to God for providing a path to atonement and communion with Him
  • represents how we are to give our best to God as the fat portions of the animal are seen as rare and as such a delicacy at the time of the Old Testament - an offering of fat was to be giving God our best
  • describes corporate worship and fellowship both with God and with other worshipers - in the presence of God, eating of meals together from the fellowship offering; we are to share our lives not just with God but also with the people of God; the commentary urges us also to look at how we are to pray for one another (James 5:16), encourage one another (Hebrews 10:25), bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2), exhort one another (Hebrews 3:13), love one another (John 13:34), serve another (1 Peter 4:10), be kind to one another, and forgive one another (Ephesians 4:32); "[c]learly God intends for us to share our lives with His people."
  •  in the death of Jesus Christ on the cross, provides the perfect sacrifice for sin and Jesus is our peace (Ephesians 2:14, Romans 5:1, John 14:27)

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who provides peace - with God, with others, and peace of mind - thank You Jesus!  You are truly amazing and I am not deserving how You reconciled me to Yourself...I continue to sin.  Worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.