Sunday, September 5, 2021

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God.

Leviticus 3

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Ecclesiastes 5:1

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - looking at chapter three - Peace with God - covering 3:1-17, looking specifically at the theme We Enjoy Fellowship with God.  Here the commentary focuses on the order of the sacrifices as laid out in Leviticus 1-3:

  1. Leviticus 1: burnt offering represents atonement for sin
  2. Leviticus 2: grain offering represents thanksgiving, gratitude, and worship of God
  3. Leviticus 3: peace offering represents reconciliation (peace) with God

 This third offering, the peace offering is described in my commentary as enabling us to be "ready for communion with God.  We fellowship with Him.  Fellowship with God is not like fellowship with anyone else. Because of His holiness, our sin must be removed and because He is God, we have to come into His presence carefully."  We are urged to look elsewhere in scripture where it discusses a proper approach to worship - see Ecclesiastes 5:1 and Exodus 3:5.  The message is clear - God cares about how we approach Him. The commentary also seeks for us to look at Genesis 37 where Joseph's brothers were unable "speak peacefully to [Joseph]."  The commentary indicates that the same word "peacefully" is the same word translated and used Leviticus 3. Throughout the Bible this word is used to discuss peace between others and - He wants us to be on good terms with Him.  The commentary also points us to Leviticus 7 where God describes how He directs worshipers to use part of the animal sacrifice for a meal that is be consumed in the temple area. "[E]ating in the presence of God symbolized fellowship with God--a happy, right relationship with God." Such a fellowship offering is now represented through Jesus as communion. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God - You loved me while I was an enemy of Yours and You died for me...You also provide for me in immeasurable ways and You desire fellowship with me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues.  Worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.