Friday, September 24, 2021

“You shall make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet, ‘Holy to the Lord.’ And you shall fasten it on the turban by a cord of blue. It shall be on the front of the turban. It shall be on Aaron's forehead[.]

Leviticus 8

“You shall make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it, like the engraving of a signet, ‘Holy to the Lord.’ And you shall fasten it on the turban by a cord of blue. It shall be on the front of the turban. It shall be on Aaron's forehead[.] Exodus 28:36-38

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter eight - Are You Ready to Serve - covering Leviticus 8:1-8:36, looking specifically at the theme - Commit to a Position of Service. The commentary focuses on the description of the priestly garments Aaron and his sons wore in support of their role.  We are pointed to not just Leviticus 8:5-9, but also Exodus 28:36-38, where more detail is provided. Everything about the details is important and plays a role, including the colors of the garments, which the commentary points out match the colors of the tabernacle to remind us that the priest "goes with" the tabernacle; the twelve gemstones (see Exodus 28:21) that symbolize the twelve tribes of Israel; and the bells around the hem of the garment allow the Israelite congregation to hear the priests as they move about their duties in the tabernacle. The commentary not only emphasizes how Aaron and his sons are dedicated to serve, but it also encourages all believers to serve the Kingdom of God - to use our God-given abilities to glorify Him.  We are referred to 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul discusses how "every member of the body is necessary and important...[and] [e]ach has a role to play in the church." 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me through my service in the church!  Thank You Jesus!  You have blessed me and equipped me to serve - thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of how You bless me because my sin continues - unintentional sin, arrogance, quick to talk, slow to listen, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.