Tuesday, September 14, 2021

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

 Leviticus 5

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time. 1 Timothy 2:5-6

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing with chapter five - Five Eternal, Counter Cultural Truths about God, Us and Our Sin - covering Leviticus 5:1-13, looking specifically at the theme God Provides Atonement for Sin. The commentary this morning focuses on atonement and starts by stating how the word is defined as reconciliation, with the implication being that sin separates us from God and atonement via the sacrificial system in the Old Testament was designed to provide a path for forgiveness and reconciliation. The commentary reinforces a recent post on the importance of our heart vs mindless rituals.  God's instructions on how to perform the sacrificial system as laid out in the Old Testament go to great lengths of details because details matter, and when we slow down and are careful, we can give more thought to what the rituals and corresponding details mean, and why God's design for the sacrificial system at the time was perfect.  However, God also knew at the time that the Old Testament sacrificial system was temporary as we knew Jesus was needed to die once and for all from the very beginning in Genesis. Ultimately, as the commentary points this out - Jesus became both the sacrifice and the mediator (priest). The commentary points to 1Timothy 2:5-6 as a great scriptural reference. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides a path for atonement and reconciliation - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You died for me and provided this path, nor for any of the blessings You pour out for me.  I continue to sin, gossip, worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.